Carnaval 2013

Dancas Carnaval/Pascua

Re: Carnaval 2013

Postby dreamer3977 » January 27th, 2013, 1:39 pm

To the guest that replyed

I understand that everyone is said that there will not be dancas doing Live Steaming but that is from mr leal website but if you go to the other website you will that they will be steaming it live on the internet and from terceira there is 2 website that will be steaming live because I have contacts with them and they told me that they will be steaming. When I said that Paul is taking our traditions and going down hill I was mad and I take it all back sorry Mr Paul Silva I did not mean it but for mr Joao Mendosa you can be cold harded Carnaval has been going on for a long time and just because I alot of us can't travel to terceira to see the dancas or rent the tapes/dvd's we would like to watch our friends and family that are in the dancas LIVE on the internet
dreamer3977

Postby videosilva » January 27th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Everyone needs to stop pointing fingers making excuses and worrying about others.

Things are like they are and cannot remain the same forever. About 30 years ago the heart of the Portuguese community was in Toronto. In time people started to move to new cities like Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, London, Bradford, Barrie, Scarborough , Pickering etc. Then we saw the second generation of Portuguese buying new houses in these new cities. The new cities bloomed quickly because people were able to buy new houses for roughly half the price of a house in Toronto.

It should come as no surprise now that the Portuguese community is so wide spread that halls in Toronto are closing and have to close. Times are hard for everyone and money is short for many. You need money for fuel to go to a hall in Toronto; you need money for entrance fees etc. Most people do not have the resources and there seems for many there are not enough hours in the day to make an income.

I have two adult children who have no interest in any of the traditions that were taught to me. I am at fault for that? What can I do to encourage them? I have a brother who like me grew up in the same atmosphere as i and has no interest in Dances etc. My mom as an example is too old and sick to go to a hall though she likes Cantoria, Dances etc. she has no interest in going to a hall but will watch what she can at home. I have many family members who once participated in dances who now have no interest. Times change and things change, we have to face that.

Then you have the Mendonca Virus, he told two friends and they told two friends. Even though the facts were fictional people began screaming that the sky was falling.

How do you generate interest in something that few are interested in? Hype, media ANY exposure you get is good exposure. Madonna says "say anything that you want about me, just keep talking about me". Hiding the dances from the world ........................... I have no words for that.

Carnaval is like Christmas the best part is the wait. Once Christmas is over no one has any interest.
----------------------------------
VideoSilva.com
43 Faris.St. Bradford
647-831-7245
Paul Silva. Jr.
http://www.videosilva.com
videosilva@hotmail.com
Banner AD
You can see the banner ads on the top of our pages.
Positioned for great visibility,
banners are a great way to promote your business to the world.
http://www.videosilva.com/index-3.html
R.C.P serving the Portuguse Comminity in Toronto and the sorounding area. R.C.P is available only on the internet.
http://www.videosilva.com/rcp.html
Canada’s Premier Portuguese Directory!
videosilva
Site Admin

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Hi Paul, I am confused with your response. Is there going to be Live Stream or not? I saw your comment on Joao Mendonca's facebook, so was this Joao Mendonca virus a rumor? So are people saying that he succeeded in banning the Live Stream, but by the sounds of things he has nothing to do with this? I am correct?

Postby videosilva » January 27th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Technically there will be no live streaming.

Viaocenica.com was the mother of live streaming and VideoSilva.com the father of internet video. It was Joao Mendonca who has been trying and has succeeded in convincing others to ban any live video feeds from Terceira. There are over an dozen dances that I know of that are refusing any live feeds for Carnaval 2013.
We will see what happens in a few weeks
VideoSilva.com
43 Faris.St. Bradford
647-831-7245
Paul Silva. Jr.
videosilva@hotmail.com
Banner AD
R.C.P serving the Portuguse Comminity in Toronto and the sorounding area. R.C.P is available only on the internet.
videosilva
Site Admin

Postby dreamer3977 » January 28th, 2013, 12:35 am

Dear Mr Paul Silva

I have a friend from Terceira (Fernando Pereira) he told me that the casa do povo de sao bartolomeudere will be transmissing the dancas that want to be seen the website is http://www.casadopovodesaobartolomeuderegatos.com. you can check it out as how I did and also AzoresTV will also be transmissing.
dreamer3977

Postby Guest » January 28th, 2013, 5:27 pm

In a few days we will see what happens.

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Everybody here is pointing fingers and blaming it on one man's virus or the lack of interest from a generation. I play the guitar for one of these dances and what I see is that it comes down to not money (like everything else) but greed.

When you attend a club to watch Dances they charge you a cover when in fact the performers do not make a cut of that to help with the seamstress, clothing, buses etc...That in-itself is extortion... Video Silva charged me 10$ for a DVD of the dance I was in so he in turn makes money off of us. To be fair he never charged a Maestro but others he did; but I'll save that for another time.

I play guitar in these dances because I love the dances and growing up my parents never introduced me to them. If the club wants to charge for a dinner and show the dances they should spreed a little of the greed. Christ Rei in Mississauga would give 50$ not much but still something. They were the only ones. All the rest are greedy. The real reason these dances are dying is because they cost money and unless you have sponsors it's hard. A break down:

60$ - 200$ for the dances dresses or outfits depends on the work. (10 people easily 600$ 2000$ but most pay out of their pocket.
600$ for the Script (Joao Mendonca or not)
100$ - 300$ to write the music (some do it for free under the kindness of their heart- rare)
1200$ for the bus (Saturday Night)
800$ for the bus (Sunday)
1200$ for the bus (Next Saturday Night at Hamilton and Cambridge)

This is just a high level break down. You still have practice (coke, beer, pizza etc...)

I'm sure arrangements can be made to live stream them here in Toronto but like Mr. Silva said it cost money. The dances will slowly die down to 2 clubs soon and then...

The only way to correct this is to eliminate the greed... Good Luck in this day and age and remember;

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

Postby videosilva » January 30th, 2013, 7:26 pm

There has never been any money to be made from Carnaval. When it comes to Carnaval everyone looses.

I have said it many, many times Carnaval does not pay for my time. I enjoy it.
VideoSilva.com
43 Faris.St. Bradford
647-831-7245
Paul Silva. Jr.
videosilva@hotmail.com
Banner AD
videosilva
Site Admin

Postby rmleal » January 31st, 2013, 7:53 pm

VideoSilva is 100% right Carnaval has never made money and was not set out to. My family here in USA has made over 5 Dancas and was part of the creation of the dancas here. I myself have been in 4 dancas performing and im second generation here in the USA. As stated before it all comes down to greed. its all about money in the end not like the other guy said. The dancas think because they create this they in part are to be paid. Carnaval has never been about money its all about tradition. I also think that the other guy does not know how it works. Back in the day explain to me how it never was an issue about money? If you wanted to be apart of it you know you had to spend money. It was what you wanted to do. I myself have never made a dime but i loved it because its apart of me and my tradition. I also don't care if videosilva or anyone else records or streams my dance. You need to understand it takes money to get all this equipment to record/stream its not free. You also need to remember that these guys also don't make a fortune maybe $100 - $200 from spending over thousands on equipment. Not to mention so your lucky enough to get a high quality dvd of your dance. All i have to say i care but greed will eventually screw Carnaval and we will see no more in a few years time. on my last note its simple you cant afford to make a dance dont do it its simple dont cry that you do it and lose money.
rmleal

Postby Guest » February 2nd, 2013, 3:58 am

You are so right rmleal. It is all about tradition, but sad to say that it has turned to greed and "who is better than who". Back in the day when I was in them it was for fun, but now it is all politics. E UMA PENA!

Postby Terceirense » February 3rd, 2013, 12:50 pm

I am very excited and happy to hear that there will be no video transmiting From Terceira,Toronto or Usa because to me that means that no one has the option to stay home and watch from the comfort of there couch, this gives the portuguese halls all over the luso-canadian/american world that participate in this traditon to fill, because the live transmissons have been the worst thing that could of happened to the Luso-Canadians and americans all it does is keeps people closed up at home and away from what the carnaval is actually about. Face it our tradition is dying and live video transmissons are not helping our traditon continue. If you want to watch dancas from terceira/toronto or usa i am all for the dvd recordings that you may purchase after that date. Which also means for you the videographers have no money losses on servers? just gains on dvd rentals and sales. Our portuguese community can fit in our hand here in Toronto we have to be united and supportive or else 10 years down the road i dont think our kids or grandchildren will even know what this beautiful traditon of carnaval is all about and that goes for all our feasts from Bodo to Bullfights etc.

VIVA CARNAVAL VIVA ILHA TERCEIRA VIVA NOSSAS LINDAS TRADICOES!! 8)
Terceirense

Postby terceirense » February 3rd, 2013, 5:19 pm

yes Paul i agree with you that hockey broadcast there events live and still fill the arenas but they have a fan base in the millions here in toronto and the states we are left with a handful of people to watch and support our traditions(especially in Toronto area). videosilva open your eyes the halls dont get any support when live transmissions are on air they eventually close the doors and then the dancas can all go dance on brock st in front of your video store because thats the only place that will be left to dance, carnaval will be lost and gone. everything ties in with each other community needs to support portuguese clubs and groups so that they keep going or else they will be a thing of the past sooner then later. why not transmit the weekend after the carnaval or just sell the dvds?

People here need to unite support eachother and come out to the tradional events when there suppose to you only know how nice something was and is when you lose it.

VIVA ILHA TERCEIRA!]
terceirense

Postby guest » February 4th, 2013, 10:58 am

To the comments from "Terceirence" above, I couldn't agree with you more! My thoughts exactly!

Postby Guest » February 4th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Paul you are so right. If anyone wants to go to a hall to see the dancas, IT IS NOT THE LIVE STREAM that will stop them. There can be 1000 other reasons why they stay home. Of course it is very sad to see our tradition slowly dying but to blame it on the live stream (ridiculous).

We all love a dvd of our own danca, and if it weren't for people like you Paul we would not have those beautiful memories. We complain when you ask us for $10 for our own dvd but we hence to forget all the equipment needed, all the time spent setting up and recording us. Funny that we complain, but on the Monday following Carnaval we are all calling you or going to your store to see if you have the dvd's ready.

I don't understand how we talk **** about each other instead of sticking together and fighting the Mendonca virus. Mr. Joao Mendonca thinks that he is Carnaval (well sorry to tell you Mr. Joao Mendonca, but you are not and never will be Carnaval).

As to the clubs, they are all closing one by one and also to blame it on a weekend of Carnaval, is crazy. Times are tough and to go to a club you have to pay your entrance, have clothes to wear, buy a drink or two. If your financial situation has changed, of our course you will not go as often, this yes is the real reason our halls are slowly disappearing. SAD BUT TRUE!

Postby videosilva » February 7th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Casa Da Madeira will be open On Saturday February 09 for Carnaval 2013. Entrance is free
VideoSilva.com
43 Faris.St. Bradford
647-831-7245
Paul Silva. Jr.
videosilva@hotmail.com
Banner AD
videosilva
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dancas Carnaval/Pascua